Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Escape

My mornings are always greeted with an unpleasant alarm, which sounds more like a malfunctioning sewing machine. I was still rubbing my eyes, preparing to take my first yawn of the morning, when I heard someone shouting at top of his voice "Hurry Up. It's getting late for the school". As I got up from my bed, I started feeling jealous of my neighbour-next-lane taking gentle bath. I don't even remember the last time, I had a bath. Looking at my neighbours having fun with soap and water, I wish, I could be like one of them.

I halfheartedly pack my bags and get ready to be dropped to school. As I see my fellow classmates, zooming past me at lightening speed, I wish, I could be like one of them.

Time for some breakfast.

As I wait for my food to be served, the same mundane grass, I get to eat every single day, I look at the sumptuous food, being served to other classmates right in front of my eyes. As I see my classmates feasting on them, I could taste those delicious dishes one day.

As I land in my school, no body looks at me. As my classmates rush to take front seat, I feel isolated. I find a corner in a big class room to make peace with. Teachers keep coming and going throughout the day, but no body seems to be bothered about my presence. I waited for my turn, which never arrives.

As sun was preparing to wave good-bye, I suddenly heard a kiss of death. I watched myself helplessly being thrashed from all different corners by none other than my fellow classmates. I cried for help, but to no avail. I tried running away, but there was no escaping their clutches.

Time to pack your bags, folks.

As I waited for my turn to be picked up, I wondered why I am always the last one to be picked. As I see my classmates making their way in front of me, I wish I could be like one of them.

When I reached home, somebody seem to be angry with me. I was still searching for a reason, when I received a tight slap on my face. Your Punishment for the day; "Go to bed on empty stomach". While my neighbours have the luxury of sleeping under a shade, some fortunate ones even have a spacious bedroom, I have to fend for myself under an open sky. As I see my fellow neighbours being caressed to sleep with warm cotton mattress draped around their body, I wish, I could be one of them.

Battered and bruised, I lay down on my bed, nothing but bare floor. With my eyes closed, I start dreaming about the day of my escape. A dream, I know, will never materialize. But the proverbial perennial hope lingers on.

PS: This was an exercise on personalization and my pick was a discarded vehicle at a driving school.

1 comment:

Shyam Saket said...

really very funny...well composed n very intersting....truly njoyed...:)